Arizona Envirothon 2015
When considering a complex environmental issue such as urban forestry, it's helpful to have command of real-world examples. Newspapers cover real examples, in this case of urban forestry. Here's at least one to start with:
- $930,000 in Urban Forestry Grants to New York Communities: This 2015 New York DEC item lists benefits of urban forestry and then puts money into. Many examples.
- Phoenix arborist plants hope for more trees: This 2014 Arizona Republic article covers the urban forest of Phoenix. This article features the city arborist, Richard Adkins. What a job!
- Beetles ravaging Tucson's big pines: This Arizona Daily Star article docments beetle kill of Tucson's big Aleppo pines. After investing in planting trees, and decades of time to have them grow to be big, sometimes they die, leaving urban forests suddenly empty. How can this situation be avoided? Thought question: Any similarities here with the American elm story?
- One Tree at a Time: This 2012 Arizona Daily Star article talks of urban forestry in Tucson.
- Study tallies value of Tucson's trees: This 2011 Arizona Daily Star article puts monetary value on urban trees of Tucson.
- Smell has cities ripping out ginkgo trees: This 2009 Arizona Daily Sun article describes a downside of urban trees: smelly and messy leaves/seeds. This article also mentions about male vs female trees, which should be considered in urban forestry.
- Volunteers sought for tree count: This 2006 Arizona Daily Star article covers counting urban trees of Tucson. This article includes a few downsides to having trees in urban areas.
- Green Cities Provide Demonstrable Health Benefits: This web article covers human health benefits derived from "green" urban areas, i.e., cites with trees.
Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona:
Tucson, Arizona 85721 USA:
Main Office: (520) 621-1608, Fax: (520) 621-8229:
Comments to Paul Sheppard: sheppard @ ltrr.arizona.edu
Copyright © 2002-2015 Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona:
Revised January, 2015