First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
The Chronology of the Martinez Homestead
A total of 87 tree-ring samples was collected from the site, 58 of which yielded dates; 17 of the dates are cutting or near cutting dates. The earliest near cutting date is 1907+LB and the latest date is 1928vv.
The earliest construction at the site was the jacal wall in Room 3 in the fall of 1908; indeed all of Room 3 was probably built at that time. There is some evidence that portions of the corral were built at the same time.
There is some evidence that the corral was used during the late 1910s and early 1920s, but possibly not later.
Rooms 1, 2, and 4 were apparently constructed as unit in 1921-1922. The beams for Room 2 were cut in the spring of 1921, but the south door lintel in Room 1 and south door jamb in Room 3 indicate that construction was not completed until the following year.
Repairs to the west wall of Room 1 were performed in the spring of 1928; the lambing pens were also in use until sometime after the spring of 1928.
Determining when the site was abandoned is difficult, but it may have been abandoned by the early 1930s and onset of the Great Depression.